Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a number of changes were necessary to our usual community heat response. Under provincial orders, spray pads and indoor and outdoor pools remain closed. The following locations across the City have been activated as Cooling Places:
- Central Memorial Community Centre, 93 West Avenue South, Hamilton
- Ryerson Recreation Centre, 251 Duke Street, Hamilton
- Norman Pinky Lewis Rec Centre, 192 Wentworth Street North, Hamilton
- Bernie Morelli Recreation Centre, 876 Cannon Street East
- Stoney Creek Rec Centre, 45 King Street West, Stoney Creek
- Rosedale Arena & Senior Centre, 100 Greenhill Avenue, Hamilton
- Hamilton Central Library, 55 York Boulevard, Hamilton
These locations were selected with advice from Public Health on the most at-risk areas within the City and because the necessary public health measures such as physical distancing could be easily implemented. Cooling Places will only be open during heat events; specific daytime open hours for each site will be confirmed shortly. All locations can be identified by a “Cool Down Here” sign at the entrance and will have water available on-site. Please note that these locations are open to serve as Cooling Places only, not for normal service (i.e. recreation, libraries, etc.)
The Centres are open until 9 pm tonight and tomorrow will operate between 11:00 AM and 9 PM.
The following precautionary measures are in place at the Cooling Places:
- Locations are staffed at the front doors; staff will actively screen and register anyone who attends.
- Active screening will be done daily upon entering for all staff, volunteers and clients. Individuals will also be asked to self-monitor.
- Cooling Places are designed to support physical distancing; individuals will be instructed to physically distance around others. Signage reminding individuals about the importance of physical distancing will also be posted in these locations.
- Locations are stocked with proper hand hygiene supplies (i.e. pump soap, warm running water and paper towels or hot air dryers).
- In addition to routine cleaning, surfaces that have frequent contact with hands will be cleaned and disinfected regularly.
- Clients are encouraged to wear masks/face coverings if possible/available at the Cooling Places.
- Staff are trained on the safe use, care, disposal and limitations of PPE.
- Staff will contact Public Health for specific advice and control measures regarding anyone who displays systems or is suspected to have COVID-19.